Friday, June 3, 2011

Pie is very important to me.  From the first slices of apple pie Mom would buy me as a treat after a check-up at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit to the Strawberry Rhubarb we ate with our hands in the car as college students returning from a trip to a cider mill near Ann Arbor to the banana cream made by the Mennonites who catered the Tulsa Maintenance Base cafeteria for American Airlines to the coconut cream at the Cotton Gin restaurant outside Dallas to the peach or apricot pies my family will buy me whenever we stop at a roadside gas station or convenience store in West Texas to the exotic such as buttermilk, chess and egg nog pies.  The best pie ala mode combinations in my opinion are peach pie with Blue Bell peach ice cream, pumpkin pie with Blue Bell pumpkin ice cream and of course apple with Blue Bell vanilla bean ice cream.  Two new bakeries have opened near us that specialize in pies!

No comments:

Post a Comment